Effective Date: MAY 1, 2019
Policy on Privacy of Customer Personal Information
Canadian Tire is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information obtained by reason of your customer relationship with Canadian Tire. The Canadian Tire Privacy Charter (“Privacy Charter”) explains the types of customer personal information we collect, how it is used, and the steps we take to ensure your personal information is handled appropriately. This Privacy Charter applies to our customer personal information practices in our stores, on our websites, mobile applications and through other interactions with you.
Our policies and practices have been designed to comply with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA),provincial private sector privacy acts and other applicable laws regarding the protection of your Personal Information. Our Privacy Charter may be amended from time to time. Any changes will be effective only after the effective date of the change and will not affect any dispute arising prior to the effective date of the change. A copy of the most current version of our Privacy Charter may be obtained on our website or by contacting us (See Contact Information, below). Any future changes will be communicated on our websites. By continuing to use our services, you indicate acceptance of our policies and terms. We encourage you to review the current Privacy Charter from time to time. A list of frequently asked privacy questions (FAQs) is also available on our website to provide you with examples of how your personal information may be collected, used and disclosed.
Who is Canadian Tire?
For purposes of this Privacy Charter, "Canadian Tire" means Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited and its family of companies including Canadian Tire Financial Services Limited, Canadian Tire Bank, Canadian Tire Real Estate Limited, Mark's, FGL Sports Ltd., Canadian Tire Petroleum, and PartSource. Canadian Tire also includes any successors or subsidiaries of the above-listed companies. Canadian Tire stores and certain Mark's and FGL stores are owned and operated by independent dealers or franchisees. Canadian Tire gas bars are operated under license by independent retailers. As independent businesses within the Canadian Tire family of companies, these dealers, franchisees, and retailers are responsible under applicable laws for adopting their own privacy policies to protect your personal information in a manner consistent with this Privacy Charter. Canadian Tire also owns and operates a number of brands including, Woods, ProHockey Life, National Sports, Vermont Casting and Huntshield, among others.
How we collect personal information
- Directly from you, such as information you provide to us when you inquire or purchase our products and services
- From our vendors, partners, and third parties who we work with to provide our products and services
- From companies and organizations that partner with us to deliver products and services
- Automatically, from your use of our website or apps, such as your IP address, usage data, and geolocation data
At this time, we do not respond to Do-Not-Track signals. If you would like additional information about online tracking and various opt-out mechanisms, please see http://donottrack.us/ Please note that not all tracking will stop even if you delete cookies.
Information we collect:
We may collect different types of personal information, including:
- Contact information, such as first and last name, telephone number, and address
- Billing information, such as credit card number and billing address
- Information necessary to verify your identity and provide you with our products and services
- process and administer your payment for the purchase of products or services, if you purchase online or use a debit or credit card for the purchase in one of our stores;
- process your application for a product, provide a service, or administer the Canadian Tire loyalty reward program or other loyalty or preferred customer programs that may exist from time to time (each a “Loyalty Program”);
- better understand your product and services needs and to offer relevant information, products, services, rewards and programs to meet those needs, including sending you (and others on your behalf) communications by way of postal mail, e-mail, facsimile, telephone, text message, or other type of electronic message;
- determine your interest and eligibility for, and where appropriate provide you with, products, services, rewards and programs;
- administer the delivery, return or exchange of products, services, rewards and programs to you;
- track and analyze your purchases, other transactions, shopping patterns, account activity, and payment history for marketing analysis purposes or tailoring promotional offers to you;
- track and analyze website use to provide a better customer experience such as customized offers and advertisements;
- conduct surveys and analysis for research, statistical and product development purposes (information will be de-identified to the extent possible);
- verify your identity and protect against error and fraud;
- manage and assess our risk;
- assess and update your credit-worthiness on an ongoing basis ;
- process, service, analyze and audit your relationship with us, including collecting any money you owe us;
- support promotions and contest administration;
- perform tests to implement or modify systems;
- comply with applicable legal, regulatory and self-regulatory requirements;
- process and respond to your application for employment;
- respond to your questions, comments or requests to customer service; and
- achieve other purposes as may, from time to time, be permitted or required by law.
- We keep your personal information accurate. We want to keep your personal information up-to-date, accurate and relevant for its intended use. We rely on you to let us know if your address, telephone number or other information you provide us changes, so that we may provide you with the best possible service.
- You can access your personal information stored by us. You have the right to access, review, and request changes to your personal information in our custody or control. To access your personal information, a request must be submitted in writing to us (see Contact Information below). We will respond to your request for access or information or changes in a reasonable time.
- Deletion of personal information: You may request that we delete your personal information. We may reject your request, as permitted by applicable law.
- Do Not Sell My Personal Information: You may have the right to direct us to stop selling your personal information.
- Portability: Under certain conditions, you may request that we transfer your personal information to another entity in the format in which we maintain it in the ordinary course of business.
You may contact us:
- by calling our Customer Relationship Contact Centre at 1-866-846-5841
- by e-mail at email@example.com
- by mail at 3475 Superior Court, Oakville, ON L6L 0C6 - Re: Privacy Inquiries
If your questions, concerns and complaints have not been resolved to your satisfaction or if you have further questions, you can contact Canadian Tire's Chief Privacy Officer by mail at: Chief Privacy Officer c/o Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited, 2180 Yonge Street, P.O. Box 770, Station K, Toronto, ON M4P 2V8 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.